Friday, October 23, 2009

Cleaning out the pantrys


As this is our first post. I have been cleaning and organizing our pantrys little by little. We have been on our new adventure in life a little over 6 weeks now, but I am really liking the idea of raw dishes more and more. However, convincing hubby and children is another story. I guess I should let you know about our past, so you can get caught up. We have been married 11 years, and have 5 children. My oldest is 18 and has moved out on her own. And together we have 3 girls, 9, 8, 6, and a baby boy, 2. My husband is a police officer that currently works midnights, and I am mostly stay at home, but we own a coffee house, and our daughter works there mostly, but I come in most after noons, and work for a few hours. We have not eaten a good diet as long as we've been married. Hubby likes his steak, potatoes, chips, ice cream,never ate a fruit that I remember! alot of sweets, that kind of thing. And I have a ragin' sweet tooth. My kiddos like usual kiddo stuff, mac and cheese is a favorite, pancakes w/ syrup, no veggies, not much fruit, cheese crackers, cheese on everything, candy out the *ss... you get the idea. So, after putting on much weight on each of the adults, and our oldest at home is on the swim team, but overweight, and the rest so picky they are underweight... We, well I, decided we all needed the better diet and the exercise, and hopefully they are all young enough it will be engrained in them as adults. So, I traded in the sugar for stevia, the white enriched flour for whole wheat and other grains flours, the white rices for brown and other grains and legumes, the milk for coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, and oat milk. And the meats and cheese for veggies and so on. We also got a family pass to our local Y, and all go regularly. DH goes about 5 days a week and swims for hour and a half, and I go 5 days a week and currently do the stepper for 35 min a day and lift weights and stretch and do crunches and such. We eat LOTS of veggies and fruits, we do at least 1 smoothie a day, and are starting green smoothies next week, (i am researching recipes). We eat snacks of Lara bars, and I home make all meals. We joined the local CO-OP to get these foods cheaper and its been helpful. But I will be sticking to a budget and picking out a few loved recipes to stick to, then add more as I find them and test them.

No comments:

Post a Comment